A Sensible Approach To Divorce Modifications

People's lives change after divorce. A parent may get a new job in a different city or state; a parent may struggle with long-term unemployment, making child support or alimony payments challenging; or a health problem or other life event may require changes to an existing parenting plan.

At the law office of Stanley E. Peacock, P.A., in Panama City, we help clients follow proper legal processes to modify existing court orders regarding custody, support and parenting plans. Often, two parties may informally agree to changes in these areas and neglect to formally make the change using the proper legal documents. This is ill-advised. A spouse who verbally agrees to a modification may change his or her mind on a whim and require a return to the court-ordered agreement. Work with a lawyer who will help you file the proper legal agreements to accomplish your objectives.

What Court Orders Can Be Modified?

Florida laws allow for modification of existing court orders regarding alimony, child support or parenting plans if there is a substantial, unanticipated and involuntary change in circumstances. This may include:

  • Long-term unemployment that is involuntary
  • A substantial increase or decrease in pay
  • Prolonged health problems that require extensive care and medical costs
  • Remarriage or cohabitation by a spouse receiving alimony
  • Fraudulent claims by a recipient when alimony or child support was established

In addition, a parent may petition to modify an existing custody plan or parenting plan if it can be shown it is in the best interest of the child. This may be necessary if one parent is relocating far enough way to make an existing parenting plan unmanageable, or if it can be shown that an environment is unsafe for a minor child due to drug or alcohol addiction, or other reasons.

We Help Clients Petition For Or Fight Against Modifications

If you wish to seek a modification or have been served a petition to modify an existing court order, it is important to work with a knowledgeable family law attorney. Call 850-215-2112 or use our online contact form to schedule a consultation.